The Global Market for SoCs and Mobile Processing Platforms
Embedded system-on-chips (SoCs) will continue to displace traditional standalone CPUs/MPUs, DSPs, GPUs, and other processor types as OEMs look to consolidate functionality and connectivity with fewer chips. According to a new market report: “Global Market for SoCs and Mobile Processing Platforms”, the mobile phone market is the leading vertical in terms of revenue for embedded SoCs and mobile processors.
- Between 2012 and 2017, the total embedded market for SoCs will grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) in the low double-digits while the same market for mobile processors will grow at a rate in the high single digits for the same period.
- ARM is the major architecture used in embedded SoCs, but Intel’s new Atom and Quark SoCs and improved x86 microarchitectures should help the company penetrate low-power applications.
- The vast majority of embedded processors will be sold to the Asia-Pacific region and unit shipment and revenue shares for the region are expected to increase during the forecast period.
- Heterogeneous computing is changing the way in which vendors supply processors and accelerators to high-performance applications.
- The increasing use of core IP licensing models will allow SoC manufacturers to save on R&D and expand in other methods of differentiation such as software tooling.
Details of the new report, table of contents and ordering information can be found on Electronics.ca Publications’ web site. View the report: “Global Market for SoCs and Mobile Processing Platforms“.