Cart is empty
TSMC, ASML Collaborate on Next-Generation Chip Making Technologies
The cooperation includes TSMC's expenditure of 838 million euro (US$1 billion at 1euro:US$1.2) for a 5% stake in ASML and pledge to put 276 million euro (US$331 million) into ASML over the next five years to finance the ASML's R&D programs.
The program is aimed at accelerating the development and industrialization of next-generation semiconductor manufacturing technologies. Industry executives estimated semiconductor industry would migrate to 450mm-Wafer technology in 2014 if the programs go smoothly as expected.
Last month, ASML announced it would invite international heavyweight chipmakers to pool a 1.4 billion euro fund to finance EUV and 450mm-wafer R&Ds. Also, it would offer up to 25% of its stocks to investors of the program. Intel has pledged to contribute 60% of the investment fund, leaving the remaining 40% to TSMC, Samsung and GlobalFoundries.
Shang-yi Chiang, TSMC's Executive Vice President and Co-Chief Operating Officer pointed out that one of the biggest challenges facing IC scaling today is how to effectively control the escalating wafer manufacturing cost. He said the programs will help secure and accelerate EUV development activities, in parallel with the necessary focus on improved performance of existing optical lithography tools and speed up the deployment of new technologies for 450-millimeter wafers. This effort will help the industry control wafer cost.
Source & copyright: CENS
Learn more about semiconductor chip manufacturing market and publications that provide informed perspective and relevant analysis of emergent technologies.