Thin Film and Printed Battery (TFB) Market Opportunities
Thin film and printed battery (TFB) technology is relatively nascent and is being used to evaluate potential opportunities in several different applications.
- Most applications are in the pilot stage of development, with approximately a few hundred thousand in unit shipments. In turn, the volume of units shipped is limited for both semiconductors and TFB applications.
- The popular battery form factor used in most devices is coin cell, and the market for semiconductors in these types of devices is quite strong. The shift from coin cell to a flexible or a printed battery, however, is delayed by a number of factors—initial high pricing remains one of the most important.
- This study discusses the drivers and restraints, revenue, and Mega Trends for semiconductors in the TFB market, across North America; Europe; and Asia-Pacific and the Rest of World (ROW).
- Partnerships between semiconductor companies, research institutions, material developers, or equipment suppliers will help optimize the cost against the value curve.
- The healthcare devices market will be a major driver for growth from 2013–2016.
- Asia-Pacific and the ROW provide great scope for growth in low-power semiconductors over the forecast period.
- Price issues and manufacturing challenges associated with TFB technology are amongst the major factors limiting high-volume shipment of semiconductors in TFB applications.
- Economies of scale in this market are expected towards the end of 2016, after which volume production and shipment will be high.
For more details of the new report, table of contents and ordering information visit: Analysis of the Global Semiconductors in Thin Film and Printed Battery Market.