ZigBee and IEEE 802.15.4 Enabling the Internet of Things
ELECTRONICS.CA PUBLICATIONS, the electronics industry market research and knowledge network, announces the availability of a new report entitled “802.15.4 & ZigBee: Enabling the Internet of Things“. According to this report, ZigBee and IEEE 802.15.4 will play a dominant role in the fixed Wireless Sensor Network WSN market that is set to reach 1 billion annual unit shipments within the next five years.
Smart Energy continues to be the primary driver for the majority of fixed WSN markets. Between 2012 and 2018, ZigBee and 802.15.4 based systems will make up 43% of the wireless chipsets used for smart metering, home and building energy management, distributed energy resources as well as lighting controls.
While mobile sensing markets will increase the fastest over the next five years, fixed WSN markets have a larger number of applications, higher profit margins and significant opportunities for services revenues. In fact, revenues from ZigBee/15.4 devices and associated equipment will reach $50 billion within the next few years.
ZigBee market outlook for the smart home is brighter now that the Connected Lighting Alliance has chosen ZigBee Light Link as the standard for residential lighting. In particular, ZigBee Light Link has become the preferred communications technology for residential LED lighting. Over the past year, consumer adoption of wireless LED light bulbs increased by 270% and ZigBee-enabled bulbs made up the largest portion of the sales.
In 2018, there will be 1 billion annual WSN chipsets shipped worldwide for fixed WSN markets. Although ZigBee is facing increasing competition from Bluetooth and WiFi, it will make up the majority of the shipments at this time.
In this report– our 10th edition– we analyze the evolving market forces, technology advances and competitive dynamics for 22 unique WSN markets and provide 5-year forecasts for 802.15.4/ZigBee and competing alternatives including WiFi, Bluetooth, Z-Wave, EnOcean, ANT and others.
Market forces analysis of each of the major low power wireless sensing and control markets including the following:
Smart Metering & Distributed Energy Resources
Entertainment RF Controls
Medical, Health & Wellness
Sports & Fitness
Building Automation & Commercial Services
Industrial Automation, Logistics, Agriculture & Construction
Retail, Automotive and Others
Application areas, or solutions, across each of the target markets above:
Health & Fitness
Safety, security and environmental monitoring
Condition monitoring/asset management
Technologies & Standards
• Extensive technology evaluation on 802.15.4 & ZigBee technologies including ZigBee PRO, ZigBee RF4CE, ZigBee IP, 6LoWPAN, ZigBee Green Power…
• And competing alternatives such as ANT, Bluetooth, WiFi, Z-Wave, EnOcean and others.
• Standards developments, emerging trends, and what it means for your critical stategic planning.
Market Sizing (2012-2018)
• Total addressable market sizing for wireless sensing and control and associated low power wireless applications.
•Global market size forecasts on ZigBee/15.4 RFIC/modules including the following breakdowns:
• Target Markets
• Protocol (15.4, RF4CE, ZigBee/PRO, Smart Energy)
• WSN Technology (15.4, WiFi, Bluetooth, EnOcean, Z-Wave and Others)
• Design Type (chipset vs RF module)
• In-depth analysis on the average sale price (ASP) per 15.4/ZigBee module (or the OEM cost equivalent for in-house chipset based designs)
The ZigBee/15.4 Value System
• Product segmentation: In-depth analysis and research data on over 100 companies that are having the biggest impact for the ZigBee/15.4 market today in the following segments:
RF Modules/Network stacks
• Market Shares: ZigBee and 802.15.4 chipset market shares by units shipped in 2012
Details of the new report, table of contents and ordering information can be found on Electronics.ca Publications’ web site. View the report: “802.15.4 & ZigBee: Enabling the Internet of Things“.