While LTE and LTE-Advanced deployments are still underway, wireless carriers and vendors have already embarked on R&D initiatives to develop so-called “5G” technology, with a vision of commercialization by 2020.
5G is essentially a revolutionary paradigm shift in wireless networking to support the throughput, latency, and scalability requirements of future use cases such as extreme bandwidth augmented reality applications and connectivity management for billions of M2M (Machine to Machine) devices.
Although 5G is yet to be standardized, some of the collectively accepted attributes of the technology include new air interface transmission schemes, new spectrum bands, spectrum aggregation, Massive MIMO, beamforming, D2D (Device to Device) communications and self-backhauling, among others.
- Driven by regional, national government, wireless carrier and vendor initiatives, we expect 5G Wireless Ecosystem R&D and trial investments will account for nearly $5 Billion by 2020, following a CAGR of nearly 40% over the next 5 years
- Nearly 70% of these investments will target large scale commercial trial networks in Japan, South Korea and other early pioneering countries
- Despite a lack of standardization, vendors are aggressively investing in 5G development efforts with a principal focus on new transmission schemes, antenna technologies, and higher frequency bands
- 5G networks are expected to utilize a variety of spectrum bands, ranging from established cellular bands to millimeter wave frequencies
- 5G standardization activities are expected to commence between 2015 and 2016
5G Wireless ecosystem research report covers the following topics:
- 5G requirements, use cases & vertical market applications
- 5G market drivers and barriers
- Air interface & antenna technologies: Massive MIMO, waveforms, phased array antennas & beamforming
- Spectrum technologies: Cognitive radio, spectrum sensing, aggregation & LSA (Licensed Shared Access)
- D2D communications & self-backhauling networks
- Complimentary technologies for 5G: NFV (Network Functions Virtualization), SDN (Software Defined Networking), HetNet (Heterogeneous Networking), C-RAN (Cloud RAN), drones & satellites
- Spectrum options for 5G
- Standardization & research initiatives
- Competitive assessment of vendor strategies & commitments to 5G
- 5G investment and subscription forecasts from 2015 till 2025
The “5G Wireless Ecosystem: 2015 – 2025 – Technologies, Applications, Verticals, Strategies & Forecasts” report presents an in-depth assessment of the emerging 5G ecosystem including key market drivers, challenges, enabling technologies, use cases, vertical market applications, spectrum bands, wireless carrier deployment commitments and vendor strategies. The report also presents forecasts for both 5G investments and subscriptions.
The report comes with an associated Excel datasheet suite covering quantitative data from all numeric forecasts presented in the report. Details of the new report, table of contents and ordering information can be found on Electronics.ca Publications’ web site. View the report: “5G Wireless Ecosystem: 2015 – 2025 – Technologies, Applications, Verticals, Strategies & Forecasts”.