Makers of external ac-dc power adapters will discover that emerging wireless power technologies are at the same time a longer-term threat to sales growth and a short-term opportunity: That is one of the key findings of Eleventh Edition report on “External AC-DC Power Supplies: Worldwide Forecasts.” The elimination of the need to maintain multiple external power supplies, one for each electronic device, has long been a goal for both the consumers and manufacturers of consumer electronics equipment and over the past several months there have been a number of developments moving the industry towards this goal.
However the majority of wireless chargers require the use of an external power adapter and therefore provides an opportunity to the power supply manufactures. So although wireless charging systems will present a serious long-term threat to the external power supply market, it will also present a near term opportunity. Overall, the external ac-dc power supply market is projected to see substantial growth over the next five years, with the dollar market increasing from $10.7 billion in 2014 to $14.9 billion in 2019, a compounded annual growth rate of 6.9%.
Wireless chargers were found to be a break-out technology over the forecast period and are expected to present an above average source of growth for external power supplies. They are projected to record both the fastest growing unit and dollar markets in this edition.
“External AC-DC Power Supplies: Worldwide Forecasts” topics include
- External AC-DC Power Supply Overview
- Emerging Trends and Developments
- Regional Forecasts (Asia, Europe & North America)
- Wattage Forecasts (<5W, 5-10W, 11-20W, 21-50W, 51-100W, >100W)
- Package Style Forecasts (Wall Plug & In Line)
- Regulation Forecasts (Switchmode & Linear)
- Application Forecasts (Communications, Consumer, Computing, Portable Medical, Building/Lighting)
- Application Forecast by Wattage
- Forecasts by Application Sub-segments
- Appendix A – External AC-DC Power Supply Industry Defined
Details of the new report, table of contents and ordering information can be found on Electronics.ca Publications’ web site. View the report: External AC-DC Power Supplies: Worldwide Forecasts.